About 85 Km : The temple is believed to be founded by Pandit Mai Das, a Saraswat Brahman. He established this shrine of Mata Chintpurni in Chhaproh village twenty-six generations ago. Over time this place became known as Chintpurni after the eponymous deity. The descendants of the Brahmin still live in Chintpurni and perform prayers at the Chintpurni temple.
Apart from the holy shrine, the place is also known for its picturesque surroundings. The valley houses excellent views for sight seeing, indoor and out door activities. The temple is also very well connected through road. That is to say, the place can be an ideal option for a religious visit and holiday both.
About 14 Km from Resort. In order to enable the visitors to enjoy the nature & make them aware of the importance of nature & environment, a nature park namely “Saurabh Van Vihar” at Palampur over 13 hactare area has been established. It is located on the right bank of Neugal Khad near Kandi bridge in the lap of Dhauladhar ranges, in village Kwat, 4 km from Palampur town.
Andretta (26 Kms): famous English Playwright, Nora Richards and renowned Painter Sant Sobha Singh was so taken in by the enchanting beauty of this place that they decided to settle down here for the rest of their life. An Art gallery displays the original painting of S. Sobha Singh. There is also a pottery and crafts centre at Andretta.
The Brajeshwari Devi temple in Kangra, 34 Kms from Resort, The ancient city of kangra is famous for its temple of Brajeswari Devi. It is one of the â€˜Shaktipeethâ€™ where the breasts of the Goddess Sati is believed to have fallen. The temple was of such legendary wealth that it was plundered by successive invaders â€“ Mahmud Ghazni, Firoz tughlak, Timur the Lame etc. Emperor Akbar have presented gold umbrella to the temple. Held in high esteem by worshippers of â€œShaktiâ€ the supreme power of God, it draws pilgrims from all parts of India and abroad.
The Tashi Jong Monastery is located 24 km from Resort. A monastery of recent origin, Tashijong is a community rather than a monastery. It encompasses a small stratum of the Tibetan refugees where one can see the dwellings of the people in exile. This monastery depicts structures at different levels, there is a college for freshers and a Tibetan restaurant. The main shrine is placed on a top platform at the fag end of a garden.
The Baijnath Temple is located 28 km from Resort in the Beas valley and is dedicated to Lord Shiva. Shiva is worshipped here as Vaidyanath or the Lord of Physician. The temple has lent its name to town as well which earlier was known as Kiragrama. The history of the temple is stated on stone slabs. According to it, the temple foundation was laid down by two local merchants in the 9th century. The date of inscription is itself given in two eras – Saptarshi and Saka. The Saka year 1126, which corresponds to 1204 AD, is considered more authentic. Renovation work in the temple was carried out by Raja Sansar Chand in the 19th century.Today, the temple is still very much in use and attracts a number of visitors year round. The unique feature of the temple is its architectural style, which is very different from the rest of the temple in the state. Actually, the architectural style is Orissan which is far away from Himachal.
About 49 km from Resort. Bir, surrounded by tea gardens and an amphitheatre of low hills, is an ideal landing ground for para-gliders. Bir has Buddhist monasteries that are worth visiting. Fine Tibetan handicrafts are also produced here. Billing, up in the hills 14 km from Bir with an arena of 200 km for high altitude and cross country flying, is one of the best aero sports sites in the country.
Just 7 km from Resort is the famous temple of goddess Chamunda Devi (Chamunda Nandikeshwar Dham). At the back of the temple is a cave-like scoop where a stone “Lingam” under a boulder represents Nandikeshwar (Shiva). The temple complex is an enchanting spot with glorious view of Dhauladhar, the Baner Khad and Dadh. A vast running water pool houses the statues of Lord Shiva and Saraswati. A trek of about 16 km up in the Dhauladhar ranges is the ancient temple of Aadi Himani Chamunda.
600 mt 69 km from Resort is the famous temple of goddess Jawalamukhi also called the “Flaming Goddess” or “She of the flaming mouth”.It lies in the valley of Beas and is built over some natural jets of combustible gas believed to be a manifestation of the goddess Devi Bhagwati . There is the Gorakh Dibbi, Chaturbhuj Temple and a host of other smaller shrine at Jawalamukhi town.
Kangra town is 34 km from Resort. This was the first seat of Raja Sansar Chand II (1775-1823) .One of the ancient capital of powerful hill state-fort of Nagarkot(3km) stands as a mute witness to the ravages of conquerors from Mahmood of Ghazni to the Emperor Jehangir, and the disastrous earthquake of 1905. The place is now called “Purana Kangra”.2 km from the bus stand is the temple dedicated to the goddess Barjeshwari Devi.
About 16 Km from Resort. An ashram complex has been established by late Swami Chinmayananda, a noted exponent of the Gita, at a distance of approximately 10 km from Dharamsala on the banks of the rivulet Bindu Saras. The complex includes a 9 m high image of Lord Hanuman, a magnificent Rama temple, a meditation hall, a school, and a health and recreation centre.
About 14 Km from Resort. The Norbulingka Institute The Norbulingka Institute of Tibetan Culture was founded by the Department of Religion and Culture to preserve and promote Tibetan art and culture in exile. Norbulingka Institute in Dharamsala has taken the initiative to preserve the roots of Tibetan culture in exile. The institute is sited in a scenic valley below Dharamsala.
Resort to Triund is a 40 km gradual trek which passes through the Dharmkot and Rakkar villages. The tracks from Rawa, Dallake, Dharamkot and Bhagsu meet at a ridge known as Galu Devi (2130m) which has a small temple and a water point. From Galu Devi onward the track is smooth and clear and ascends through a mixed forest of oaks and rhododendrons. The track then gradually gains height and winds round the ridges looking towards Dharamsala and the Kangra valley.
This ancient temple is 31 kms from Resort.. Close to this temple is a beautiful waterfall.Near the Dal Lake is the shrine of Bhagsunath an easy walk from the Mecleod ganj. Famous for its ancient temple and a pretty waterfall not far away. The rock temple dedicated to local Goddess is just 3 km from Kotwali Bazaar.
About 31 Km from Resort and next to the Tibetan Children’s Village, this small lake is brownish in colour and not nearly as impressive as the name and reputation suggest. However, there are many interesting walks around the lake.
Fifteen minutes’ walk from McLeod Gunj, the Anglican church lies in the forest near Forsyth Gunj. This neo-Gothic stone church was built in 1852 and has some fine Belgian stained-glass windows. It miraculously survived the 1905 earthquake – only the spire collapsed. A memorial to Lord Elgin stands in the churchyard. The British Viceroy died in Dharamsala and is buried here. Visiting hours for the church and cemetery are 10 am to 5 pm each day.
Though a plain and utilitarian substitute for its far more splendid name sake in Lhasa, also known as the Jokhang, the Tsuglag Khang is nevertheless fascinating and peaceful. Situated opposite the residence of His Holiness the Dalai Lama, Tsuglag Khang is known to the local Indians as the Main Temple. It houses three main images: that of the Sakyamuni Buddha, Padmasambhava and Avalokitesvara, the Buddha of Compassion, of whom the Dalai Lama is the current emanation. The principal image is that of Sakyamuni Buddha, measuring three meters high and made of gilded bronze. To its right are the images of Padmasambhava and Avalokitesvara which are both facing Tibet.
About 29 Km from Resort is the famous town Mcleodganj often called the ‘Little Lhasa’. This is the residence of HH the Dalai Lama. The Tibetan Government in exile has been here for almost four decades. The impressive monastery has larger than life images of the Buddha, Padmasambhava and Avalokteshwara. A large Tibetan community and the presence of traditional architectural designs drawn from Tibet have enhanced the charm of the area. A host of Tibetan handicrafts and garments are available.